Spring Recipe: Lemony Lentil Soup
As you may already know, I LOVE Lentils. Here is a refreshing take on the traditional lentil soup I typically make. This is a great transition recipe from winter into spring. Although the days will soon become warmer they can still be quite cool and damp and what better way to keep our internal temps warm but with a bowl of homemade soup. I hope you enjoy!
Lemony Lentil Soup
What you’ll need:
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
1 ½ cups diced carrots
1 ½ cups diced celery
1 head curly kale, steam removed and roughly chopped
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 tsp freshly grated ginger
4 cups veggie stock
2 tsp ground turmeric
2 cups green lentils, rinsed and picked over
Zest of ½ lemon
Juice of 3 small lemons
What to do:
1. Heat oil in a large pot set over medium heat.
2. Add onion, carrots, celery, salt and pepper and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Add garlic and ginger and sauté another minute or so.
4. Add broth, turmeric and lentils.
5. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for 45 minutes. Add kale and stir in the lemon zest and juice and simmer another 30 minutes.
6. Add more broth or water for desired consistency and taste.
Serves 8 and freezes great!
Check out My Wholesome Home!