- A Massage Therapist is a regulated health professional.
- Only members of the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario are permitted to use the title Massage Therapist or Registered Massage Therapist and use the letters MT or RMT with their names.
- Massage therapists have completed a 2-3 years diploma program from a recognized massage therapy school.
- Massage therapists participate in a Quality Assurance Program that assists them in the maintenance of high professional standards and quality care of their clients.
The Benefits of Massage Therapy
There are tremendous benefits to be achieved through regular massage therapy treatments from a Registered Massage Therapist. Whether your need is to have a moment of relaxation, reduce muscle tension or attain relief from chronic pain, a therapeutic massage can enhance your overall sense of emotional and physical well-being as well as your quality of life. Massage therapy benefits people of all ages. While it benefits the injured, the ill and the stressed, the strength of massage therapy in preventing illness and conditions before they develop cannot be overlooked. Massage therapy can be used in the treatment of both acute and chronic stages of conditions.
The following is a list of conditions for which massage therapy, when provided by a Registered Massage Therapist, can prove beneficial:
|Anxiety and depression||Asthma and Emphysema|
|Back, leg, and neck pain||Cancer|
|Carpal tunnel syndrome (repetitive strain)||Chronic Fatigue syndrome|
|Fractures and edema||Gastrointestinal disorders|
|Headaches||Inflammatory conditions such as arthritis and bursitis|
|Insomnia||Kyphosis and Scoliosis|
|Multiple sclerosis||Parkinson’s disease|
|Muscle tension and spasm||Palliative care|
|Post-surgical rehabilitation||Pregnancy and labour support|
|Sports injuries||Strains and sprains|
|Stress and stress related conditions||Stroke|
Therapeutic massage is an important part of your health maintenance plan, by:
- Reducing or eliminating pain
- Improving joint mobility
- Improving circulation
- Improving immune system functioning
- Increasing lymphatic drainage
- Reducing depression and anxiety
- Reducing tension within muscles
- Increasing body awareness
Massage therapy benefits people of all ages. While it benefits the injured, the ill and the stressed, the real strength of massage therapy lies in prevention.
(The above information has been garnered from the College of Massage Therapists and Registered Massage Therapists’ Association of Ontario websites.)